Within an hour of arriving at NRMA Woodgate Beach Holiday Park, I’d met three sets of grey nomads who had been visiting the park for over a decade. When I mentioned on Instagram that we were at Woodgate Beach, I was flooded with DMs from people who fondly remembered childhood summers spent there. Indeed, Woodgate Beach is imbued with a sense of yesteryear. It’s charming, peaceful and incredibly picturesque.
If you’re looking for a quiet getaway on the Fraser Coast, Woodgate is your answer. It’s an easy 40minute drive from Bundaberg; a very small town dotted with old holiday shacks, resident kangaroos, a bowling club and a pub.
Relaxation was our priority at NRMA Woodgate Beach Holiday Park and with the beach within walking distance of the van, it was very easy to unwind. Notable features of the park include:
- Beautiful tropical gardens abundant with wisteria and bougainvillea
- Many of the camping and caravan sites are shaded by big gums which in the summer months create much sought after shade
- The camp kitchen is spacious and clean and has a big TV (just the distraction we needed on a particularly rainy day)
- A range of cabins are located at the front end of the park and a few boast beautiful ocean views
- The local cafe and convenience store is located within the park’s grounds and has delicious and very well priced food and drinks
- Local kangaroos visit at around 4pm and hop along the grassed area between the beach and the road
- Woodgate Beach is an impressive 16km long and is bordered by trees so you can always find a patch of shade. It’s also abundant with beautiful shells
Apart from daily visits to the cafe, we literally spent all our time on the beach or lazing about the caravan. Woodgate begs you to sleep in and take long, languid strolls down the beach in search of shells either before or after you’ve taken a dip in the clear water.
If you’re planning on visiting Woodgate Beach with your family I recommend you do a big grocery shop before you arrive but if you are in need of groceries during your stay, there is a Woolworths in nearby Childers (they also deliver on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays). If you would prefer to shop local, Alloway Farm Market (about 20minutes from Woodgate) has a cafe and deli and stocks local produce.
NRMA Woodgate Beach Holiday Park
Discover why Woodgate Beach is a family favouriteCheck availability